Regional News of Friday, 31 January 2014
Residents within the Ledzokuku-Krowor Municipal Assembly (LEKMA) have been served notice to relocate as a demolition of unauthorized buildings has been sanctioned to be carried out.
According to the Assembly, most of the residents have turned a deaf ear to the earlier notices served them.
Municipal Chief Executive Seth Badu Tawiah told TV3 that all structures in waterways and those without permits will be pulled down.
The municipality has been hit with floods in recent times with some lives lost during a downpour last year in Teshie-Nungua.
A final one-month ultimatum has been given residents following pleas from the Member of Parliament for Ledzokuku Constituency, Benita Sena Okity-Duah, for more time for residents.
“Since the MP has come in and pleaded on their behalf, we are going to give them another day or another date for the demolition,” Mr Tawiah told TV3.
The area which is expected to be hard hit is Martey Tsuru, near Spintex.
“We are just pleading with authorities. It is not like we will not leave. We just need some time,” a disturbed resident, Precious Seyonu, pleaded.
Ms Okity-Duah counseled the Assembly to engage in intensive education before going ahead with the demolition exercise.
“If they are supposed to relocate, they should be spoken to, they should be given some time to find a suitable place to go and live.”
The demolition will follow a recent one in the Tema metropolis that has generated controversy with the Tema Development Corporation (TDC) coming under fire for "not having a human face" in embarking on the exercise.