Regional News of Sunday, 6 January 2013
Personal belongings and thousands of Ghana Cedis cash for a poultry farmer at Mangyea near Half Assini in the Jomoro District of the Western Region, were burnt when fire gutted their three-bedroom house on Thursday.
Mr Joseph Edeman, Senior Safohene (Captain) of the town made this known in an interview with the Ghana News Agency at Mangyea on Friday.
He said at about 0100 hours on Thursday, some neighbours saw the locally-built building of the victim, Mr Simon Kwame, on fire.
Mr Edeman said though neighbours did their best to prevent the fire from spreading, it burnt down completely the building.
The victim told Mr Edeman that the sales of his 1,000 birds he made during the Christmas and New Year period were destroyed by the fire as a result of electrical fault.
Madam Helena Archer, New Town Zonal Coordinator of the National Disaster Organisation (NADMO), said two sisters of the victim, Beatrice Kwame and Rita Kwame sustained some burns when they attempted to retrieve some personal belongings from the fire.
The victims are currently staying with friends and relative.