General News of Thursday, 17 April 2014
The family of the purported dead baby that went missing at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, (KATH), has expressed disappointment with what it describes as a “back door” approach being used by the Health Ministry in handling negotiations with the family.
Among the many issues the family is raising, is the Ministry’s choice of going through opinion leaders in the community instead of approaching them officially. The family is also unhappy with the Ministry’s refusal to allow their lawyers take part in any of their meetings.
The account of the family is in sharp contrast with the submissions of the Health Ministry in the latest of its press conferences on the KATH missing stillborns Saga. Minister of Health Mrs. Sherry Ayittey last month at a news conference, clearly stated that “the Ministry of Health is in the process of facilitating a meeting with Madam Suwaiba, her lawyer and her family to find an amicable settlement to the unfortunate incident”.
Expressing these sentiments with Kumasi-based Ultimate Radio, Spokesperson and brother of madam Suwaiba, Abdul Rahman, indicated that the Health Ministry was deviating from its press statements with its latest approach in tackling the issues.
“When the meeting was supposed to be held, the ministry did not directly contact the family. They passed through some opinion leaders in the community. They told us it wasn’t even necessary we bring our lawyers. But we don’t want any back door negotiations. We want it to be formal for the whole world to know what we are doing,” he noted.
Abdul Rahman also confirmed that the ministry has proposed a GHC 50,000 compensation package for the family but pointed out that the family wasn’t ready to have any of that. He told Ultimate Radio their stance on seeing the body of their still born remains resolute.
“They proposed fifty thousand cedis but we are not accepting the offer and besides, Suwaiba is not interested in the compensation. All she seeks is to know the whereabouts of the baby “he stated emphatically.
Asked whether the family contemplates abandoning the issue, he stated “there is nothing like abandoning. It is a fight and we are fighting to the end of the whole saga. They are saying the baby is dead; so they should provide the body for us. That is what is going to convince us” he noted.
Meanwhile, a report from the nursing and midwifery council on their investigations into the saga has been submitted to the health ministry. The ministry has consequently constituted a committee to review the report and submit its conclusions appropriately.