General News of Thursday, 6 March 2014
The Ghana Medical Association (GMA) says contrary to media reports that doctors at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) have been asked by the Association to reduce their patient quotas, doctors are and have been at normal post and committed to their work.
Speaking on TV3’s [email protected] on Wednesday, March 5, Dr Frank Serebour, the General Secretary of GMA, emphasised that doctors at the largest hospital in the northern sector of the country have been rather asked to cooperate with investigation bodies, in helping unravel the mystery surrounding the “missing” of babies at KATH.
Last month, a resident of Aboabo-Zongo in the Ashanti Region, Suweiba Abdul-Mumin, accused doctors at the Hospital of “stealing” her baby. According to her, she was told the baby had died upon delivery, but when she demanded to have it for burial, authorities could not produce it.
“No doctor is involved in this matter,” Dr Serebour stressed.
“Investigation will prove that,” he added.
Dr Serebour said the Association has been involved in investigations since it started.
“We are on the ground. We work with the Hospital. We know what is going on.”
He expressed the Association’s disappointment with the Minister of Health’s posture on the issue, pointing out that the letter written to KATH by the Ministry failed to name the doctor and nurse on duty when Ms Abdul-Mumin laboured.
The letter, read out to journalists by Minister Sherry Hanny Ayittey, directed authorities at KATH to let the doctor and nurse on duty proceed on leave.
“You can’t say a doctor was guilty because it was a whole team that was on duty,” the GMA General Secretary said, adding that: “That is why we have a problem with what the Minister is trying to do.”