General News of Wednesday, 10 October 2012
Celebrated veteran Ghanaian coach, Sir Cecil Jones Attuquayefio has confirmed to XYZ News that he has so far received only $1,000 from the organizers of a charity match held in his honour three months ago.
The game, which was played at the Accra Sports Stadium on June 29, was aimed at celebrating Attuquayefio’s achievements as well as to raise funds to support his cancer treatment, saw cash donations and pledges from personalities such as Togbe Afede XIV (Board Chairman of Accra Hearts of Oak) as well as Black Stars duo, Asamoah Gyan and John Mensah.
In an interview with XYZ Sports’ Michael Nsiah Okyere, Coach Attuquayefio said “I think there is more to it. I have been reading a lot of stories about the issue,” he said, adding ‘ it is true that I have received only one thousand dollars from the organisers.”
The 2000 African Coach of Year says though he has been promised by the organizers that they are still mobilizing the funds people pledged, his major worry was the Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Department of the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, which the event organizers promised to donate part of the money to.
He said “the organisers promised even to supply part of the money to the ENT Clinic that has taken very good care of me and are still taking care of me.”
He is therefore calling on the organisers of the charity match to be sincere in the promises they made.