Regional News of Friday, 22 February 2013
Eight people were rendered homeless and properties worth thousands of Ghana Cedis was destroyed when fire gutted their house built with local materials at the Jewi Wharf border near Half Assini last week.
Madam Helena Archer, New Town Zonal Organizer of the National Disaster Management Organsation (NADMO), who made this known to the Ghana News Agency at half Assini near Jewi Wharf on Thursday, said the fire occurred as a result of series of power outages.
According to her, this was the second major fire outbreak in the area since the beginning of this year, but no casualty has since been recorded. She said the first fire outbreak happened at Mangyea on January 7, when fire gutted a three-bedroom apartment of a poultry farmer, Mr Kofi Ackah and burnt down his family's property and Christmas sales.
She said the victims of the Jewi Wharf fire outbreak, a married couple and their six children, were currently staying with some sympathizers in the community, and appealed to philanthropists and benevolent societies to come to the aid of the victims.
Madam Archer said her outfit would not be in the position to offer any assistance to disaster victims due to financial constraints.
Mr James Benson, Jomoro District Coordinator of NADMO in an interview with the GNA said the District Assembly had not given the organisation any funds to support fire victims for the past one year.
Mr Abudu Amadu, District Coordinating Director of the Jomoro District Assembly said the provision in the Common Fund to support disaster victims had been removed.