Regional News of Thursday, 28 February 2013
Source: Abdul Karim Naatogmah
Victims of the Gushegu rainstorm disaster are yet to receive support from the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO).
They were displaced by a severe rainstorm which hit the Gushegu Township, Tuesday evening.
Available data collated by the district NADMO specified that about 1,200 people have been rendered homeless.
NADMO is yet to alleviate the plight of the victims who have since been putting up with family relations.
The Gushegu district NADMO Coordinator, Mahama Ibrahim Jamoni in an interview with Citi News stated, “So far we have recorded all the victims numbering about 1,200 and handed over to the regional NADMO boss for onward transfer to the headquarters in Accra.”
“For now our store is empty and we have nothing here at the district level and so we are relying on NADMO headquarters for support to enable us cushion the negative effects of the disaster,” he said.
Meanwhile, reports indicate some parts of the Gushegu Township including the district hospital have been without electricity since the disaster occurred.
A worried resident there, Adam Karim said “For about three days now some parts of Gushegu Township including the hospital area have been without electricity.”
According to him, “The hospital is running on a power plant and also businesses that are dependent on electricity have been grounded and the situation is negatively affecting livelihood here.”