General News of Sunday, 9 December 2012
Nkrumah, Asaga, Dery & Afeku lose, Bissiw, Jamal win
- CPP’s only parliamentary candidate Samia Yaba Nkrumah lost the Jomoro constituency seat to Francis Kabenlah Anaman of the NDC.
- Former Attorney General and Minister for Justice, Ayikoi Otoo lost the Krowor constituency in the Greater Accra region.
- The Minister of Chieftaincy and Culture, Alexander Asum-Ahensah, who is the Member of Parliament for Jaman North has lost his seat to his NPP challenger, Mr Siaka Steven.
- The Member of Parliament for Nabdam and Minister of Employment and Social Welfare, Moses Asaga, lost to a former Upper East Regional Minister in the NPP administration, Boniface Agambillah.
- Member of Parliament for Talensi(Upper East region) and Former Information Minister, John Tia Akologo who has been MP for the Talensi constituency since 1992 has lost the seat to Robert Nachinab Doaneng of the NPP. Doaneng obtained 11,380 votes whilst Mr Akologo polled 9119.
- Ambrose Dery, the Deputy Minority leader, lost the Nandom constituency seat to the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Dr Benjamin Kunbuor.
- Member of Parliament for Ningo Prampram Constituency E T Mensah has retained his seat, albeit with a small margin. The Works and Housing Minister polled 21,178 with the NPP candidate Sylvester Tetteh polling 17,122.
- NPP's Catherine Afeku lost the Evalue Gwira seat by polling 11,651 votes. The NDC's Kweku Tamekyi Kessie polled 14,096 votes to win the seat.
- NPPs Yaw Owusu-Boateng beat NDC’s Richard Roland Acquah to win the Asene Akroso-Mamfo seat in the Eastern region. The constituency was one of the new 45 constituencies created by the Electoral Commission ahead of the general elections.
- Deputy Water Resources Works and Housing Minister, Dr. Hannah Bissiw won the Tano South seat in the Brong Ahafo region.
- Baba Jamal is also reported to have won the Akwatia seat after his fourth attempt.
- Nii Lantey Vanderpuije is reported to have won the hotly contested Odododiodoo seat in the Greater Accra region.
- MP of the Efutu constituency in the Central Region, Mike Hammah who is also the Minister of Natural Resources has lost his seat. NPP candidate Alexander Afenya-Markin polled 19,062 votes as against 16,977 for Hammah.
- Information Minister, under the Kufuor administration, Asamoah Boateng (aka Asabee) has failed in his bid to return to Parliament. He lost the Mfantsiman West seat to the incumbent Tawiah Aquinas