General News of Tuesday, 27 November 2012
The Volunteers for Mahama (VFM), an affiliate of governing NDC, has denied receiving any cheque for Ghc 4,000 from the Ghana Investments Promotions Centre (GIPC).
The VFM was widely reported to have received funding from the GIPC and other state institutions to bankroll its activities as far as the 2012 elections are concerned.
Board Chairman of the GIPC Ishmael Yamson on Tuesday told Joy FM Super Morning Show said the Board stopped the payment because it perceived the move to be unlawful. Mr. Yamson indicated the governing board will investigate the issue.
However, a release issued on Tuesday by Charles Nkansah, Director of Operations for VFM categorically stated, “VFM has no bank accounts to draw any cheques and has not received any such monies as stated in the said publications including the alleged 4,000 GH? cheque from the GIPC”.
Read the full statement below:
VOLUNTEERS FOR MAHAMA (VFM) PRESS STATEMENT
November 26, 2012 Accra
1. The Volunteers for Mahama (VFM) is a non-profit network of over 15,000 ordinary Ghanaians from diverse backgrounds across the length and breadth of this country. We are committed to mobilizing support that will ensure that H.E. John Mahama is elected as President of Ghana in order to Advance the Better Ghana. We are united as Ghanaians, standing together to protect this great nation for our generation and generations yet to come.
2. The attention of the Volunteers for Mahama (VFM) has been drawn to a publication in some dailies including: the Daily Guide, The New Crusading Guide, and on the internet on November 26, 2012 in which it was alleged that VFM had received funding from Ghana Investment Promotion Agency (GIPC) and other state institutions to bankroll its activities.
3. VFM has no bank accounts to draw any cheques and has not received any such monies as stated in the said publications including the alleged 4,000 GH? cheque from the GIPC. It is mischievous and a calculated attempt to distract our focus on realizing our mission.
4. VFM wishes to state categorically that these allegations are unfounded, baseless and false. In our effort to fund our activities across the length and breadth of Ghana, the VFM has solicited and received donations from a cross section of ordinary Ghanaians.
5. However, the National Executives Committee of VFM has instituted full scale investigations into these allegations and the general public will be duly informed of the outcome in due course.
6. Furthermore, to promote the spirit of volunteerism, members of VFM have also funded various activities including T-shirts, food for volunteers, handbills, stickers, among other logistics.
7. We wish to assure the public that the VFM shall continue to remain focused in its activities of mobilizing volunteers across the nation to ensure a OneTouch Victory for H.E. John Mahama come December 7, 2012.
(Signed) Charles Nkansah (Director of Operations)