Display options Mobile website

General News of Thursday, 8 November 2012

Source: myjoyonline.com

BNI questions 3 over Melcom shop building disaster

Officials of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) have questioned three people in connection with Wednesday's Melcom shop disaster which has claimed nine lives so far.

The suspects are believed to have acted negligently resulting in the collapse of the Achimota branch of the Melcom shop.

Ramesh Sadhwani, Co-Managing Director of Melcom, Victor Mensah, also from Melcom and the Works Director of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly have been grilled by BNI.

Richmond Oduro Kwarteng, the Public Relations Officer of Melcom confirmed this to Joy News.

He said the Co-MD and the other official have been discharged.

Deputy Information Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said the questioning followed a directive of President John Mahama.

He said it was the view of the President that "too many things have been taken for granted."

The security agencies are still hunting for the owner of the building, one Nana Kwesi Boadu, who is currently at large.

The nation woke up Wednesday to a rare disaster in which a 5-storey building housing Melcom collapsed on workers who were having a morning devotion pending the opening of the shop to shoppers.

Rescue teams were rallied and campaign activities of the various political parties were cancelled.

So far, over 70 people have been pulled out of the rubble but so too are the bodies of nine victims.

Related Articles:

Comments:
This article has no comments yet, be the first to comment