General News of Friday, 2 November 2012
Source: Joy Online
The Police in the Eastern Region have arrested two officials of a filing station at Oyorko, a suburb of Koforidua, for putting petrol in a pit latrine leading to the death of a worker.
Managers of the filing station whose names have been with-held for security reasons are reported to have done this to reduce the impact of the stench emanating from the toilet.
The incident took place when the deceased 53-year old, Mustapha Ahmed, was caught in flames after he used the toilet facility. He is said to have been smoking during the time.
Deputy Eastern Regional Police Commander, ACP James Azumah Abass told Joy News the two may be charged with man slaughter after investigations are complete.
According to the police, Azuma, without warning lit a cigarette to smoke inside the latrine when everything happened.
He said: “the company did not inform the police, they did not bring him to the hospital. They kept him home, I’m told he was kept in the house for two days until it got serious yesterday” and was rushed to Korle Bu where he died.
ACP Abass added that the matter only came to light when hospital authorities insisted the body won’t be revealed until a police report is issued.
He said the two officials will be charged for "negligently causing harm or negligently causing an event and if the event leads to the death of somebody, the probable charge will be manslaughter..."
Using petrol to reduce stench from pit latrines, the police said, is not an "accepted practice anywhere and it doesn't answer well with safety measures public institutions."