General News of Monday, 29 October 2012
Source: Daily Guide
The 59-year-old man who swallowed 77 pellets of cocaine, Kwaku Sarfo, has died at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra without naming any accomplices of his.
Sources at the nation's premier health facility said he died on Friday around 10: 30pm., after battling to survive his act of foolhardiness.
Kwaku Sarfo was arrested on Wednesday after the 77 thumb-sized pellets of suspected drugs wrapped in condom like rubbers were removed from his stomach after a surgical operation.
He personally rushed to the surgical/medical emergency unit of the hospital after complaining of severe stomach ache. After some examination, doctors recommended a surgical operation since his condition kept degenerating.
He was subsequently taken to the theatre where the 77 pellets of cocaine were removed from his stomach.
The shocked medical doctors reported the situation to the police and he was subsequently placed under a 24-hour security guard.
The morning before his death, two of his relations, his pregnant wife and one of his siblings, were reported to have called in at the Korle Bu police station to identify him as a relative.
The two were said to have been briefly detained by the police and subsequently granted bail after giving written statements.
A source at the police station told Daily Guide that Kwaku Sarfo's wife told officers her husband had been traveling abroad very often but did not know exactly what he went there to do, neither was she able to tell the kind of work or business, he did for a living.
The source said it thus came as a surprise to the wife when she heard about her husband's arrest for possession of narcotic drugs because two or so weeks ago, Kwaku told her he was travelling outside the country but she didn't know where he was travelling to.
The late Kwaku Sarfo was said to have lived in Kumasi, the Ashanti regional capital with his wife.