General News of Thursday, 5 August 2010
Accra, Aug. 5, GNA - A US medical team would this year collate pulmonary function test results on lung damage caused by the use of cooking over coal pots indoors.
In addition, the effects of other pollution caused by motor vehicle exhaust, road dust and most significantly, smoke from burning of electronics at the E-Waste location at Agbogbloshie in Accra.
It is under the Charity Beyond Boarders (a health NGO) and Weber State University Medical Humanitarian Project.
This was contained in statement issued in Accra on Thursday by Professor Lisa Trujillo, Director of Clinical Education, Weber State University Respiratory Therapy Department and Founder of the NGO.
Prof. Trujillo said for the past five years under a joint partnership with Dr Owusu Achaw Duah, Director of Dr Martin Luther King Memorial Clinic and King's Nursing and Allied Health College, offered volunteering health care services, education and conducted researches including testing into the Sickle Cell Disease in Ghana.
She said within the period more than 500,000 dollars worth of medical supplies and equipment as well as educational supplies, desks, medical books and office equipment had been sent to institutions and communities in the country.
"To date the group has provided free health care services for over 3,000 people and provided education for nearly 800 health care students," she added.