Regional News of Tuesday, 23 October 2007
Shai, Oct. 23, GNA - Mr. Daniel Dugan, Deputy Minister, Women and Children's Affairs on Tuesday donated food items and cash totalling 200 Ghana cedis to the family of two boys who were struck dead by lightning over the weekend.
The event, which occurred at Tsomkpo of Shai Osu-Doku area in the Dangme West of the Greater Region at about 1500 hours last Saturday, during a heavy rainfall spared the live of a seven-year old boy who was also in the room at the time of the incident.
Mr Philip Adzawoto, nephew of the children who narrated the incident to the GNA said the three children Lomo Adzabeng, 19, Dakeh Katenor, nine and Edward Adzawoto seven, were playing in their room when the raffia roofing caught fire from the thunder and lightning accompanying the rains.
According to him, Lomo became motionless but Dakeh who became startled by the event took cover under their bed while Edward shouted for help.
Mr Adzawoto said the thick smoke that came out of the three rooms attracted attention and when rescuers went to open the door, Edward out of fear took to his heels without talking to anybody. He said the charred bodies of the two boys were discovered after the fire had been brought under control.
Mr Adzawoto said the body of the two had since been buried while Edward was recovering from his shock.
The GNA saw the debris of the affected rooms and other family valuables that had been destroyed by the lightning. The Minister said he was moved by the disaster and decided to support the family to defray some of the cost incurred. He advised families to always take good care of their children and added that they should try to know the whereabouts of their children. Mr Tetteh Adjabeng, father of Lomo thanked the Minister for the donation and the time taken off his busy schedule to share in their pain.