Health News of Thursday, 21 May 2026

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

'No Ebola case recorded in Ghana' – Health Minister declares

Kwabena Mintah Akandoh is the Minister of Health

Minister of Health, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh, has assured Ghanaians that the risk of an Ebola outbreak in the country remains low despite the recent declaration of an international public health emergency by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Addressing the nation on Thursday, May 21, 2026, he said the Ministry of Health had already issued two public notices on Ebola over the past week following the WHO’s declaration of the disease as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

He explained that Ebola is a viral disease spread through direct contact with infected blood, body fluids, secretions and contaminated surfaces or materials.

Akandoh urged the public to remain vigilant and seek immediate medical attention if they experience symptoms associated with the disease.

“People experiencing symptoms such as sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, or unexplained bleeding should immediately report to the nearest health facility,” he said.

The minister, however, stressed that no Ebola cases had been recorded in West Africa, including Ghana.

“It is important to note that no cases have been recorded in West Africa, including our dear country, Ghana. However, it is said prevention is always better than cure,” he stated.

No cure for Ebola, public health expert urges strict adherence to safety protocols

As part of preventive measures, Akandoh advised Ghanaians to practise proper hand hygiene by frequently washing hands with soap under running water or using hand sanitisers.

He also called on organisers of mass gatherings to provide handwashing stations and hand sanitisers to reduce any potential health risks.

“During mass gatherings, please also practise good hand hygiene and event organisers should provide hand washing stations and hand sanitisers,” he stressed.

Reassuring the public, the health minister said the government was taking all necessary steps to protect citizens.

“It is important to stress that presently the risk is low in Ghana. I would like to use this opportunity to assure everybody that the government is taking all the necessary measures to protect us all,” he added.

MRA/VPO

'Failed leaders' - Watch as SA activist fumes over reception Ghana gave to xenophobia victim

TWI NEWS