You are here: HomeNews2019 08 07Article 769880

General News of Wednesday, 7 August 2019

Source: Class FM

Takoradi kidnappings were not reported late – Families

The families of the three kidnapped girls in Takoradi have refuted suggestions that the kidnapped cases were reported late to the police and hence the slow pace in investigations to unravel the crime.

The families, who have refused to cooperate with police to conduct a DNA test following the discovery of human remains at Kasaworodo in Takoradi, want answers from the Police before participating in any DNA tests.

The human parts, two skulls, were exhumed by the police, from the backyard of the prime suspect, Samuel Udoetuk-Wills on Friday, 2 August 2019.

At a press conference in Accra on Tuesday, 6 August 2019, Michael Larbi Koranchie, a brother to one of the girls said:” It is completely false for anyone to say or think that we reported the matter in days, weeks or months”.

He said in the case of Priscilla Blessing Bentum after the family realised that she had not returned from church service on 17 August 2018, a search was conducted and “the matter was reported to the police early morning on 18 August the same year”.

On the other hand, he said the family of Ruthlove Quayson, upon receiving a call at about 1:40 pm on 4 December 2018 about the kidnap, “a report was made hastily at the Takoradi Market Circle Police Station and were later transferred to the Takoradi Central Police Station where they made an official report around 2:45 pm”.

For Priscilla Koranchie, the spokesperson said the family received a call from the kidnappers around 3:30 pm on 21 December 2018 and made the report to the Anaji Police Station at 4:15 pm.

He added: "The police gave us the green light to send the monies to the kidnappers and then bring them (police) the telephone numbers that were used in the transaction”.

For him, it comes as a surprise that the inability to find the girls will be attributed to a late report by the families to the police.



Mr. Koranchie, further, noted that the CID boss, National Security Minister and the Minister for the Interior had told them that “the girls are alive and safe” hence, they do not agree with suggestions that the remains could be that of the missing girls.

The families questioned if there was no search in the house of the suspects soon after his arrest and wondered why no civilian or witnesses were present during the exhumation exercise.

The families also want a probe into the transfer of DSP Peter Ofori Donko, the Divisional Commander for Takoradi and a former CID Detective Mr Ametepeh, who were handling the case after the suspect escaped from jail.

The aggrieved families have, therefore, called on former presidents, activists and well-meaning Ghanaians to compel authorities to provide explanations and clarity on the investigations so far before they avail themselves for the DNA tests, which the police said could be completed within four weeks.

Send your news stories to and features to . Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter