COUNCIL OF STATE
The Council of State, a small body of prominent citizens of proven character, advises the President on national issues.
It is analogous to the Council of Elders in the traditional political system.
President John Dramani Mahama in accordance with Article 89 (2) (d) of the 1992 Constitution swore in members to the Council of State at the Flagstaff House at Kanda, Accra on 20 February 2013.
The appointees, together with the elected members of the Council, were sworn in by the President. Two other members were sworn in at a later date.
The current members of the Council of State are:
- Mrs. Cecilia Johnson, Presidential Appointee
- Mr. Henry Martey Newman, Presidential Appointee
- Okogyeman Kwaku Gyamprah, Presidential Appointee
- Tutulewura Rashid Sulemana Mahama, Presidential Appointee
- Awoamefia of Anlo, Togbe Sri III, Presidential Appointee
- Nana Baffuor Osei Asibey II, Debuosehene, Presidential Appointee
- Mr. David Adeenze Kanga, Presidential Appointee
- Mrs. Ama Benyiwa-Doe, Presidential Appointee
- Sir. Dr. Edward Nminyour Gyader, Presidential Appointee
- Opanyin Pastor Abraham Kwaku Adusei, Presidential Appointee
- Dr. Rabiatu Deinyo Ammah, Presidential Appointee
- Mr. George Kofi Dadzie, Representing the Western Region
- Dr. Percival Afred Kuranchie, Representing the Central Region
- Mr. Emmanuel Adzei Anang, Representing the Greater Accra Region
- Torgbui Binah Lawluvi VI, Representing the Volta Region
- Nana Kodua Kesse II, Representing the Eastern Region
- Vo-Naa Alhaji Baba Muhammed Bawah, Representing the Northern Region
- Rt. Rev. Dr. Jacob Kofi Ayeebo, Representing the Upper East Region
- Nana Saa Gyamfuaa II, Representing the Brong Ahafo Region
- Nana Asiama Poku Afrifa II, Representing the Ashanti Region
- Alhaji Seidu Bhat Braimah, Representing the Upper West Region
- Wulugunana Naa Professor John S. Nabila, President of the National House Chiefs
- Christopher Kobla Dewornu, Former Inspector General of Police
- Lt. General Seth Kofi Obeng (Rtd.), Former Chief of Defence Staff
2009 - 2013
- Prof. Kofi Awoonor, Chairman of the Council
- Lt.-Gen. Arnold Quainoo (Rtd), former General Officer Commanding the Ghana Armed Forces
- Mr. Peter Nanfuri, former Inspector-General of Police
- Professor Nabilla, President of the National House of Chiefs
- Mrs. Victoria Addy, Presidential appointee.
- Mrs. Cecilia Johnson, Presidential appointee
- Prof. Akilakpa Sawyer, Presidential appointee
- Daasebre Kwubu Ewusi VII, Presidential appointee
- Alhaji Asoma Banda, Presidential appointee
- Hajara Musa Ali, Presidential appointee
- Alhaji Mahama Iddrisu, Presidential appointee
- Nana Akuako Sarpong, Presidential appointee
- Otumfuo Badu Bonsu XV, Presidential appointee
- Rev. Nii Amo Darko, Presidential appointee
Regional representatives to the Council: Dr. Bernard Kwasi Glover, elected to represent the Volta Region; Very Rev. Dr. Jacob Ayeebo, elected to represent the Upper East Region;Mr. George Kofi Dadzi, elected to represent the Western Region;Osabarima Owusu Gyamadu III, elected to represent the Eastern Region;Ato Essuman, elected to represent the Central Region;Mr Emmanuel Adzei Anang elected to represent Greater Accra Region;Naa Seidu Braimah, elected to represent the Upper West Region.
The rest are J. H. Owusu Acheampong, elected to represent the Brong Ahafo Region; Nana Asiama Poku Afrifa, elected to represent Ashanti Region; Pkan-Naa Mohammed Baba Bawah, elected to represent the Northern Region
- Naa Thomas Tia Sulemana, Zosali-Na
- Alhaji Alhassan Bin-Salih, a Retired Principal Secretary
- Mr Clement K. Tedam, a Former Minister and Educationist
- Mr A.K. Deku, a Former Commissioner of Police (CID)
- Mr Kwasi Armah, a Former High Commissioner to the United Kingdom (UK) and a Barrister-at-Law
- Nana Otuo Siribour II, Paramount Chief of Asante-Juaben Traditional Area and a Former Lecturer at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology,(KNUST)
- The Most Rev Dr Samuel Asante-Antwi, Immediate-Past Presiding Bishop of the Methodist Church of Ghana
- Professor Adzei Bekoe, a renowned Scientist and Former Vice Chancellor of the University of Ghana
The others are Major-General Edwin Sam, Former Chief of Defence Staff; Mr Kwaku Kyei, Former Inspector General of Police; Odeneho Gyapong Ababio, Paramount Chief of Sefwi-Bekwai Traditional Area and President of the National House of Chiefs; Madam Ama Bame Busia, a Former Principal Domestic Bursar, University of Ghana, Legon; Mrs. Gifty Afenyi-Dadzie, Immediate-Past President of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) and a Member of the Media Commission; Mrs Cecilia Bannerman, a Former Minister of Mines.
Regional representatives to the Council:
Togbe Kpangbatriku III, Paramount Chief of Dodome Traditional Area for the Volta Region; Professor Naa Sebiyam Nabila for Northern Region; Mr Michael Kwadwo Adusah, a Retired Assistant Commissioner of Police for Brong Ahafo Region and Mr Francis Asianab Afoko, a Businessman for Upper East Region.
The others were Mr Paul Kwabena Damoah, an Agriculturist for Western Region; Mr Fredrick Guggisberg Yaw Ofori-Atta, an Industrial Relations Practitioner, for Eastern Region and Mr Benjamin Asonaba Dapaah, Transport Owner, for Ashanti Region.
The rest were Kuoro Kuri-Buktie Limann IV, Paramount Chief of Gwollu Traditional Area for Upper West Region; Mr Ato Essuman, a Management Consultant for Central Region and Mr John Sackah Addo, Former Governor of the Bank of Ghana for Greater Accra Region.
- Prof Alex Kwapong
- Alhaji Alhassan Bin-Salih
- Mr Clement Tedam
- Mr A. K. Deku, Madam Ama Busia
- Madam Adisa Munkaila
- Mr Kwesi Armah
- Prof Adzei Bekoe
- Mr Francis Afoko
- Nana Ogyeabuor Akompi Finam II
- Michael Adusah
- Naa Abayifa Karbo II
- Dr Kofi Amanor Ansah
- Nana Prah Agyensaim
- Mr Fred Ofori-Atta Asante
- Mr Benjamin Dapaah
- Major-General Edwin Sam
- Mr Kwaku Kyei
- Prof Albert Adu-Boahen
- Mrs Emma Mitchell
Nana Otuo Siriboe Odeneho Gyapong Ababio II Omanhene of the Sefwi Bekwai Traditional area (current president of the national houses of chiefs)