The Ministry of Health (MoH) has recruited thousands of health professionals under a nationwide exercise aimed at strengthening healthcare delivery, particularly in underserved communities across the country.
The recruitment forms part of government’s broader free primary healthcare initiative and follows financial clearance granted by the Ministry of Finance to engage about 8,000 health workers.
According to a report by adomonline.com on May 18, 2026, a total of 6,245 nurses and midwives were successfully recruited out of 6,500 available slots.
The exercise also saw the employment of 771 out of 900 allied health professionals, 235 out of 250 pharmacy professionals and 300 physician assistants.
What to know about MoH's recruitment and posting plan for health workers
Speaking on the outcome of the exercise, the Director of Human Resources at the Ministry of Health, Frederick Mensah-Acheampong, said the initiative was intended to support the government’s primary healthcare agenda by deploying trained personnel to communities with critical staffing shortages.
He noted that although 87 nursing slots remain unfilled in some northern districts, the exercise had been highly competitive due to the large number of qualified applicants.
“We have received financial clearance to recruit about 8,000 health professionals from the Ministry of Finance. The Ministry acknowledges the anxiety and interest this recruitment exercises have generated, particularly given the backlog of about 105,000 unemployed health professionals, some of whom have been awaiting recruitment since 2018 and 2019,” Mensah-Acheampong said.
He explained that the recruitment process is aligned with the government’s Primary Healthcare policy, which prioritises preventive healthcare, community-based services and improved access to medical care in deprived communities.
Mensah-Acheampong further disclosed that a mop-up exercise would be conducted in the coming weeks to absorb eligible applicants who were unable to complete the recruitment process.
MRA/VPO
'I don't think he read the law' - Afenyo-Markin launches blistering attack on judge in Abronye case









