Crime & Punishment of Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Source: GNA

Three arraigned a Takoradi Circuit Court for attempted kidnapping

Three drivers have appeared before a Takoradi Circuit Court for allegedly conspiring to commit crime, attempting to kidnap and causing unlawful harm.

The three who are resident at Asanta are Vincent Akollah, 25, Patrick Kwaw, 31, and Daniel Aboah, 30.

Their pleas were not taken and they were remanded to re-appear on August 13.

Police Inspector Fuseini Yakubu said on July 7 the victim, Abigail Johnson, and a friend were going to buy fried eggs at Esiama when she was called by Kwaw who was in the company of the other two accused persons.

He said Kwaw asked Abigail and the friend to direct them to a nice drinking spot where they could buy some drinks.

Inspector Yakubu said Abigail and the friend showed them a spot but they objected because it was a place for the elderly and asked for a spot for youngsters.

He said the ladies then took them to a nearby spot where Kwaw and his friends convinced them to stay with them to take some Malta Guinness in appreciation for their help.

Inspector Yakubu said the accused bought the ladies Smirnoff-ice and after taking their drinks, the ladies asked permission to leave.

He said the accused persons decided to give the ladies a lift in their bus driven by Akollah to enable them buy fried eggs at the Esiama Lorry Station.

Inspector Yakubu said the three accused persons sat in the front seat and the ladies on the back seat and on reaching the Lorry Station, Akollah increased the volume of the radio player in the vehicle and sped off towards Kikam.

He said the ladies sensing danger started shouting for help and this attracted a witness in the case who decided to follow the speeding vehicle.

Inspector Yakubu said whiles Akollah drove at top speed, Abigail jumped off the vehicle unto the road for fear of being killed and sustained serious injuries.

He said the accused persons still refused to stop until the witness blocked their vehicle with his car and carried Abigail who was unconscious to the Saint Martin de Porres Hospital at Eikwe.

Inspector Yakubu said a report was made to the Police who arrested and charged the accused persons after investigations.**