You are here: HomeNews2016 12 08Article 493073

General News of Thursday, 8 December 2016


NPP's declaration is act of irresponsibility - NDC

The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has lambasted the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) for calling on President Mahama to concede defeat to Nana Akufo Addo presidential candidate because they believe he has won the polls.

Peter Mac Manu the campaign manager of the NPP said Nana Addo has won the race by 54.91 percent per their tabulation.

According to the party, Nana Addo has garnered 4, 676, 998 votes while President Mahama has polled 3, 694, 724 representing 43.38%.

Peter Mac Manu addressing the press at their party’s headquarters said, they have been able to collate results from 80% of the polling stations that were used for the polls and believes that the remaining 20% will not overturn the results available to them.

But responding to the NPP, Director of Elections for the NDC, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo slammed the NPP describing their declaration as unlawful.

The party he noted has refrained from putting a figure out like the NPP although they are aware that President Mahama is in a commanding lead.

Mr. Ampofo said the action by the NPP is yet another demonstration that threatens the peace of this country.

"This act by the NPP is not only irresponsible and reckless but a treasonable act perpetrated to undermine the peace and security of this country".

He called on supporters to remain calm and further charged the media to be circumspect, desist from announcing results and allow the EC to do so.