You are here: HomeNews2007 11 10Article 133914

Diasporian News of Saturday, 10 November 2007

Source: Ghana Celebrities

"Ghanaian" Suicide Bomber has no ID

Click to read all about coronavirus →

The "reluctant" fifth bomber in the failed July 21 suicide attacks in London came to Britain from Ghana on a false passport and stole the identity of a former tenant called Manfo Kwaku Asiedu.

He came from Ghana, where his mother sold grain and his father was a building contractor. He arrived in Britain in late 2003 seeking a better life. But he bought a false passport in the name of Georges Nanak Marquaye, believing he would not get a visa using his real Muslim name of Sumaila Abubakhari. He later took the name Asiedu.

In 2003, he paid £400 for a false passport and a six month UK visa in 2003 after borrowing the money from his sister in the US.

The bomber, whose real name is Sumaila Abubakhari, then stayed with a Ghanian cab driver in Finchley, North London.

There he changed his name to Manfo Kwaku Asiedu, who had lived at the address before.

According to the UK Mirror, the real Manfo, related to the President of Ghana, was mentally ill and had been sectioned so was unaware his identity had been stolen.

In actual fact, the real Manfo is a son of a former Inspector General of Police(IGP) and GHP was not been able to confirm if there is any relationship between the ex-IGP and the president

After failing to get into the Army because he did not have a birth certificate, the bomber worked as a cleaner at Superdrug.

Muslim Asiedu prayed at the notorious Finchley mosque where he was known as "Smiler".

He supported Spurs and played in the mosque football team and was nicknamed George after African striker George Weah.

"Asiedu" lost his nerve at the last moment admitted his part in the July 21 terror plot. The 34-year-old dumped his rucksack bomb in a bush and fled home instead of murderously exploding it on a Tube train.

He then disarmed a booby trap cupboard at the bomb factory in New Southgate, North London. Five days later he gave himself up at a police station.

Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter