You are here: HomeNews2019 06 17Article 755562

General News of Monday, 17 June 2019

Source: Mynewsgh.com

Deputy Minister erred in no cut-off point for BECE comment - Lecturer

An Educationist and Senior Economics lecturer at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Katakyie Dr. Eric Oteng-Abayie has faulted the Deputy Minister of Education, Dr. Osei Yaw-Adutwum on his pronouncement of no cut-off point for this years’ Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) candidates, describing it as wrong and a bad call.

Dr. Oteng Abayie who has on many occasion expressed his strong admiration for the Deputy Education Minister describing him as one of the best Ministers Ghana has ever had under this fourth republic, intimated that the Minister failed at making such remarks especially when the students are writing the BECE papers.

He explained that, such mentioning might impact the students not to give off their best as they know they will pass regardless of how lazy they are in the end affecting the quality of education and graduates the country churns out.

“I admire the Deputy Education Minister a lot and I do so because he has earned it with his performance and impressive understanding of educational issues but it’s only loved ones that can point out your flaws to you.

“Doc, I think going forward, the Minister should exercise some restraint on making certain pronouncements for the greater good of our education. I think he had it completely wrong when he announced that there will be no cut-off point for this year’s BECE candidates especially when they have already begun the exams. He failed at that.”

Katakyie Dr. Eric Oteng Abayie made this assertion on Kumasi-based Pure FM’s ‘Bresosem’ a Political flagship talk show which is hosted by Dr. Otchere Addai-Mensah, Vice Dean of Students, KNUST and monitored by MyNewsGh.com.

Background

The Deputy Education Minister, Dr. Osei Yaw Adutwum announced there will be no cut-off point for candidates sitting this year’s Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).

Dr Adutwum who is in charge of Basic and Secondary Education made the revelation after some candidates in Chereponi expressed concern the conflict there would impact their performance as they have lost many contact hours.

In an interview with Joy News’ Gifty Andoh Appiah who was in Chereponi, the candidates pleaded with the feuding factions to bring the conflict to an end so they could prepare for their final exams.

But speaking on the Pulse on Joy News, the Deputy Minister said no student will be denied senior high school education because they could not make a certain grade as was previously the case.

“I saw in your interview at Chereponi where students were complaining that because now we have a cut-off point of 25 they are not prepared and I saw the girls break down as you spoke with them. I just want them to know that there is no cut-off point of 25. So inasmuch as we want them to do well, they should not give up that it is 25 and therefore they cannot go,” he told Gifty Andoh Appiah.

The BECE is the main exam for junior high school education in Ghana and can even pave the way for a student to attend technical institutes.

In the past, grades from this exam determined whether or not a student progressed to senior high school and which particular school. Those who failed to make the cut off point – which used to be aggregate 30 but was reduced to 25 – could not go to senior high schools of their choice or go to school at all.