Display options Mobile website
  • IboBoxing

Boxing News of Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Source: Daily Guide

Joshua Clottey to return home without title?

New WBA International champion Joshua Clottey may return home from the USA this weekend without his title, Daily Guide sports understands.

The former IBF Welterweight champion had been waiting in vain for his title in the United States since brushing aside Australian ring icon, Anthony Mundine, on April 9 in Australia.

Daily Guide sports learnt that promoters of the fight had told Team Clottey to give them some time regarding the release of the title.

The boxer’s trainer, Neequaye Kotei Dzanie, popularly referred to as ‘Allowey,' flew back home immediately after the fight, but the boxer relocated to his New York base to wait for the title.

Clottey (38-4, 22 KO) said in a telephone interview yesterday that, “I may return home this weekend without the title, due to some administrative lapses. But the promoters have given the assurance that I will have it before the close of this week.”

The 36-year-old added, “I will definitely come home with or without the title this weekend. I am coming to put myself together for the challenge ahead.

“As I pointed out the last time we spoke, I want to retire a hero, and I must say the Australia win has opened a window of opportunity for me to realise that dream.

“Many offers have started pouring in after the win, hopefully the world will hear of me before the year ends,” he added.

Clottey scored a unanimous decision (115-109,116-108, and 117-108) win with five knockdowns along the way.

He put Anthony Mundine down on the canvas in the third round, twice in round six and again in the eighth and tenth rounds.

Comments:
This article has 14 comments, give your comment