Boxing News of Friday, 11 January 2013
Accra, Jan. 10, GNA – The National Sports Authority (NSA) has said the dissolved Executive Board of the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) overstayed in office hence the decision to dissolve the board.
A source at the NSA who pleaded anonymity told the GNA Sports that, the dissolved Board was given a two year mandate which spanned from June 29, 2009 to June 28, 2011 after which they were to conduct elections but failed to adhere to the directive.
A letter of appointment dated June 6, 2009 made available to the GNA Sports reads “Your appointment takes effect from Monday, June 29 2011 and will last for two years that is June 28, 2011”. According to the source, the decision to dissolve the board was in consultation with the Ministry of Youth and Sports and in strict compliance with the Legislative Instrument passed by parliament last year. The source said, the dissolution will pave way for elections by the GBA as the Legislative Instrument mandates all Associations to organize elections to elect members of the executive board. The NSA early this week dissolved the Samir Captan led Executive Board of the GBA.
The action follows protests from various stakeholders in boxers which cited the Executive Board for poor management.
Following this, a court action was instituted against the GBA Board by a section of the stakeholders.
A five-member team made up of Jonathan A. Annan - chairman, Ignatius Elletey - Secretary, Richard O. Lamptey, Fred Ghartey and Rabon Dodoo as members was formed by the NSA to supervise the administration of the GBA.