You are here: HomeNewsRegions2014 05 12Article 309003

Regional News of Monday, 12 May 2014

Source: --

First Lady attends Agnes Tia’s one week funeral celebration

First Lady, Mrs. Lordina Mahama, was all grief on Saturday when she joined the family and friends of the late Madam Agnes Tia at the family home in Ashaley Botwe, Accra to for her one week funeral rites.
Mrs. Mahama, accompanied by the Chief of Staff, Mr Prosper Douglas Bani, led the government delegation consisting of Ministers of state, Members of Parliament, MMDCEs, Diplomats and Appointees to mark the one week memorial ceremony of the Late Madam Agnes Tia, popularly called UNDERSTANDING, the Former Deputy Volta Regional Women’s Organiser of the NDC.
The National Democratic Congress delegation was led by the National Chairman, Dr Kwabena Adjei and included the National Women Organiser, Anita De Sousa and her two deputies, Hajia Joyce Mahama and Margaret Chiravera.
The late Tia’s family expressed their profound gratitude to the First Couple of the country for the kind support they given the family right from transporting the deceased’s body to Accra to the one week memorial celebration.
The one week funeral ceremony was marked with the family announcing that the body will be laid in state at the forecourt of the parliament house on the 13th of June for public viewing, before being flown to Krachi-Ehiamanhyene in the Volta region for burial and final funeral rites on the 14th of June.
Signing the book of condolence, the First Lady wrote: “Understanding, I will never forget this moment. And I pray that you rest in the bosom of Almighty God. Rest in perfect peace, my honey.”
Madam Agnes Tia died in a car accident whilst returning to Accra after attending the funeral of the late sister of the First Lady, Mrs. Mercy Yaa Ankomah, in Kintampo on 26th April 2014. Hajia Adiza Salley, the Deputy Greater Accra Regional Women’s Organiser of the NDC also died in the said accident while Mrs Vivian Ankrah, the Greater Accra Regional Women’s Organizer and her driver, George Osei, both sustained various degrees of injuries and are currently on admission at the 37 Military Hospital in Accra.