You are here: HomeNewsRegions2017 02 07Article 507659

Regional News of Tuesday, 7 February 2017


Factions clash at Afiaman

Residents of some parts of Afiaman, near Amasaman in Accra were forced to run for their lives last Friday morning when a gun battle erupted between two factions in what residents believe is a chieftaincy dispute.

Information gathered indicated that the area has two chiefs, Lance Corporal Amu Ankrah and Pedro Nii Kpakpa Ankrah.

The two chiefs, believed to be cousins, were each claiming to be the custodian of the area.

The incident, which occurred around 7am, also brought business activities in the area to a standstill as shop owners abandoned their shops for fear of being hit by stray bullets.

A drinking spot operator had all his wares destroyed in the course of the stampede.

Even though nobody got injured in the process, properties got destroyed.

Explaining what had brought about the confrontation, an eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Pedro Nii Kpakpo Ankrah was the known chief of the area but on July 27, 2016, Nii Amu Ankrah was also installed as chief of the same area.

After his installation, the police officer turned chief was to swear an oath of allegiance at the Otublohu We at Jamestown on Friday February, 3, 2017.

On the day of the swearing in ceremony, some persons believed to be supporters of Pedro Nii Kpakpo Ankrah besieged the town and started firing indiscriminately at the apartments of persons believed to be supporters of Lance Corporal Nii Amu Ankrah.

Sensing danger, some of the residents immediately call on the police for assistance.

Personnel from the Amasaman police station quickly rushed to the area but the perpetrators upon sensing danger fled the town.

The police had detailed personnel to remain in the area to protect life and property and to avert any further mayhem at the time DAILY GUIDE visited the scene.

Meanwhile ASP Effia Tenge, the Accra Regional Police Spokeswoman when contacted said police received the information about the shootings around 11am and when they got to the scene, they realized that the drinking bar operator was the most affected.

Eleven empty shells including that of AK 47 rifle shells were found at the scene but suspects had fled.

Preliminary investigations, she said, revealed that the perpetrators were four in number and all were armed.

No arrest has been made yet but she said the police were still in the area to ensure the safety of residents.

Join our Newsletter