Entertainment of Monday, 10 August 2026

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

‘NPP did more for comedians than this current government’ - Lekzy DeComic

Lekzy DeComic bemoans lack of government support for comedians under the current administration Lekzy DeComic bemoans lack of government support for comedians under the current administration

Ghanaian comedian Lekzy DeComic has expressed frustration with the current government over what he considers inadequate support for comedians and the creative sector.

The comedian contrasted the current administration's approach with that of the previous New Patriotic Party (NPP) government, claiming the former administration was more responsive to requests for assistance from comedians and organisers of comedy events.

Speaking at Joy FM's Showbiz Roundtable on August 8, 2026, Lekzy reflected on his experience under the previous government, saying he once complained to an NPP executive about comedy being overlooked whenever government support was extended to the entertainment industry.

He noted that following his complaint, the NPP became more responsive and provided support for comedy shows and initiatives.

“When the NPP was in power, I drew the attention of one of their executives to the fact that anytime they did stuff for the entertainment industry, they trivialised comedy. The moment I mentioned it, he drew the attention of the GTA boss Akwasi Agyemang to it.

“Since then, anytime we had a comedy show, they would call you and ask how the GTA could support our show, whether in kind or whichever form. They would try and come through for you,” he said.

'I was assaulted twice because of my jokes' - Lekzy DeComic recounts

He also recalled instances where the previous administration supported some Ghanaian comedians to travel to the United States for Ghana Week celebrations in Washington, DC.

However, Lekzy said he has experienced a different situation under the current government, claiming that comedians now receive little or no attention when it comes to government-backed support for the creative sector.

“But with this current government, it appears we don’t even exist in their books. Last year, I invited two South African comedians to come to Ghana to help me do my show, and I went to see their acting ambassador, and he asked how he could help us. He was ready to do everything for us to have a successful show,” he said.

He explained that shortly after his engagement with the South African ambassador, a representative of the Blackstar Experience contacted him after learning about the event featuring the South African comedians.

According to Lekzy, the representative informed him that Blackstar Experience had a collaboration with the South African government and requested footage from his event to support a proposal.

“…and I asked them how I would benefit from it because I was initiating it myself. That was the last time I heard from him. And I even called somebody to reach out to Rex Omar. It was a three-way call. He said we would hear from him, and that was it,” he said.

The comedian said the lack of communication following the initial discussions left him disappointed, arguing that the previous administration would likely have taken concrete steps to support his initiative.

“If it was the previous government, that call would have changed something for me. And to date, I have not heard from them. Nothing. Zero effort. And we are still here, making time. So when Kojo Preko Dankwah said he would score them zero percent for work done so far, I support him hundred percent,” he said.

Lekzy added that his disappointment was even greater because the current government has appointed several people from the creative industry to leadership positions, which he believes should have translated into greater attention and support for creatives.




AK/EB