You are here: HomeNewsCrime & Punishment2005 08 26Article 88864

Crime & Punishment of Friday, 26 August 2005

Source: GNA

Psychiatrist fined for arson

Kumasi, Aug. 26, GNA - George Frimpong, a Ghanaian psychiatrist based in London was on Friday fined two million cedis by a circuit court in Kumasi for setting a house on fire. Frimpong, who was convicted on his own plea of guilty, will go to prison for three years in default.

The court further bonded him over to be of good behaviour for two years.

Police Chief Inspector Janet Oseiwaah told the court presided over by Mr Adutwum Mmorosa that Frimpong and one Madam Janet Ofori, both lived in London. She said the accused and Madam Ofori got to know each other in London and that Madam Ofori in 2003 told Frimpong that she exported used cars from Germany to Ghana. Chief Inspector Oseiwaah said Frimpong pleaded with Madam Ofori to send a car to his (accused) father at Obogu in the Asante-Akim South District.

The prosecution said the accused gave Madam Ofori 100 million cedis for which part was to be used to buy the car and the remaining was to be used for another project. She said Madam Ofori failed to purchase the car but did not refund the money.

The prosecution said Frimpong returned to Ghana and reported the matter to Madam Ofori's family head.

Chief Inspector Oseiwaah said the accused then threatened to kill any member of the family who benefited from the money through 'juju' and burn down a house Madam Ofori had built at Onwe near Ejisu. She said sometime in 2004, neighbours saw signs of smoke coming out of Madam Ofori's house but managed to put it under control. Madam Ofori made a report to the police but before the suspects could be traced Frimpong had gone back to London, the prosecutor said. Chief Inspector Oseiwaah said during investigations, Pastor Kwame Afriyie of "There is Hope for You Centre" at Onwe, who was a tenant in the house said at about 0100 hours on the day the house was set ablaze, while in bed, he smelt the scent of petrol. She said Pastor Afriyie who became suspicious peeped through his window and saw some people now at large together with Frimpong behind the house.

Frimpong admitted the offence during interrogation, the prosecution added. GNA