Crime & Punishment of Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Source: GNA

Businessman charged for defrauding MP

An Accra circuit court on Monday remanded one Stephen Amoah Marfo, a Businessman, in police custody for defrauding by false pretence and issuing a false cheque.

The case, which went through the full trial, saw the accused person pleading not guilty to the charges including possessing fraudulent document.

The court, presided over by Mr Francis Obiri deferred sentence to February 17, after counsel for the accused person prayed the court to defer the sentence to enable his client to refund the money.

Police Chief Superintendent Duuti Tuaruka told the court that the complainant in the case was Mr Kofi Ayeh, Member of Parliament for Ayensoano constituency, whilst the accused person is a Businessman.

He said during the month of August, 2012, the accused person collected a cash amount of Ghc600,000.00 from the complainant under the pretext of using same to facilitate the documentation and transfer of an amount of $25 million, which was lodged in the accused person’s account in New York to Ghana.

The prosecution said the accused person promised the complainant that the process would be completed within two weeks, but he failed to do so.

Chief Superintendent Tuaruka said the complainant was able to trace the accused to his hideout at Dome, and upon seeing the MP, the accused person issued a Zenith Bank Cheque with a face valued of Ghc600,000.00 to the complainant.

He said when the complainant presented the Cheque; it was dishonoured for lack of funds.

“Accused has since failed to pay the money and has vacated his place of abode,” he added.

He said on March, 20, 2013, the complainant reported to the police leading to the arrest of the accused.

The prosecution said, the investigation revealed that the accused person used a forged letter claiming to have originated from the financial crime enforcement network in New York to convince the complainant.

He said when the said letter was verified, it was found to be forged and after investigation the accused was charged with the offence.