General News of Friday, 21 March 2003

Source: GhanaHomePage Commentator

Ghana's Position On Iraq War: ?!#%&?

....One Ghanaian Flees Iraq....
Ghana, chair of the West African regional body ECOWAS, has so far said nothing on attacks on Iraq, although president Kufuor has cancelled a planned trip to Britain. The trip was planned as a state visit during which President Kufuor would have called on the British Monarchy, Queen Elizabeth.

Earlier in the week, the presidential spokesman, Kwabena Agyepong incurred the displeasure of his boss by denying reports that President Kufuor had pledged Ghana’s support for the US led war against Iraq (READ).

The New Patriotic Party (NPP), the National Democratic Congress (NDC), the People’s National Convention (PNC), the Trades Union Congress (TUC), the Civil Servants Association (CSA) of Ghana, the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA), Legon Centre for International Affairs (LECIA), the Ghana Centre for Democratic Develoment (CDD-Ghana) and Mr James Victor Gbeho, the immediate past Foreign Minister and a former Permanent Representative to the UN have asked the government as a member of the UN to make its position clear on the matter.

  • Public protests have already taken place in some cities across Africa, especially in countries where there are large Muslim communities, with more expected after Friday prayers. So far no protests have taken place in Ghana. However, political parties, civil society groups, and a cross-section of the public appealed to the United States of America (USA) not to attack Iraq.

  • Some 180 African workers have crossed into Jordan after fleeing Iraq out of fear for their safety. The International Organisation for Migration says most of those leaving are Sudanese nationals.

  • According to a Ghanaian living in Italy, his brother was one of the Africans that left Iraq for Jordan. He has lived in Iraq for the past three years. (GhanaHomePage cannot collaborate this information).