Sports News of Wednesday, 20 May 2026

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Ghana World Cup fan delegation yet to begin visa interviews — Kofi Adams

Ghana Supporters Union during a game Ghana Supporters Union during a game

The Minister of Sports and Recreation, Kofi Adams, has clarified that Ghana’s official fan delegation for the 2026 FIFA World Cup has not yet begun visa interviews, dismissing reports suggesting rejections or approvals have already taken place.

Speaking to the media, Kofi Adams explained that the organised supporters being coordinated by the Ministry and the World Cup Oversight Committee are still in the preparatory phase and have not appeared before United States visa officers.

He stressed that recent claims circulating in the public space about visa refusals are inaccurate because the formal process has not even reached the interview stage.

“The truth of the matter is that the organised fans that the Ministry is leading are yet to submit themselves to the American Embassy for visa interviews,” he said.

No Ghanaian supporter has been denied US visa for World Cup - Kofi Adams

His comments come amid reports suggesting that only a small number of Ghanaian fans had been issued visas, claims which he firmly rejected as misleading and premature.

According to him, the official delegation is still being structured, and the necessary steps such as registration, biometric capture, and interviews are yet to begin.

“I do not know what is happening to that arrangement. It is false and not true when anyone says that the arrangement that we are spearheading as the Ministerial Oversight Committee and the Ministry of Sports and Recreation has had these refusals when they are even yet to appear before the visa-issuing officers for their biometrics and any interviews,” he added.

Watch the video below:



FKA/JE

Also watch as Athletes share experiences about the African Athletics Championships