General News of Wednesday, 20 May 2026

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Moree Tidal Disaster: Kwakye Ofosu demands end to sand winning

Felix Kwakye Ofosu is the Minister of State in charge of Government Communications Felix Kwakye Ofosu is the Minister of State in charge of Government Communications

Member of Parliament for Abura Aseibu Kwamankese, Felix Kwakye Ofosu, has engaged victims displaced by recent tidal wave destruction in Moree on the harsh effects of sand winning.

Speaking during a site visit to affected communities in the Central Region, the lawmaker said immediate interventions have been triggered to ensure victims are not left to battle the challenge alone; assuring of permanent solution to the problem.

He, however, cautioned persons in the communities who engage in sand winning to put an immediate stop to it, stressing that it can compound their situation.

He assured that they are putting in place long-term measures to permanently protect residents from future disasters.

In a viral video shared on X and sighted by GhanaWeb on May 20, 2026, Kwakye Ofosu said cautioned against the act.

Tidal waves leave 80 residents homeless at Moree

“There are some recalcitrant youth who still engage in sand winning,” he said.

He added that discussions had been held with district authorities to increase surveillance and apprehend persons involved in the activity.

He further disclosed that work on a sea defence project in the area was progressing and would offer a permanent solution once completed.

“Indeed, it was one of the key issues that I campaigned on. So, once I got into office, I engaged the relevant authorities, and the processes were sped up to commence the construction of the sea defence. They've come quite far, but it's unfortunate that where the incident happened over the weekend, it's just where they have gotten to.”

The legislator stated that in the meantime, some intervention had been put together with the help of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) to help cushion affected victims.

“Fortunately, we’ve been able to arrange with their relatives and loved ones who have accepted to live with them temporarily. So, they are sheltered. They are not exposed to the vagaries of the weather,” he said.

He added that relief items including rice, beans, maize, cooking oil, clothing, mattresses, blankets, soaps and buckets had been mobilised for victims.

Watch the video below



MRA/VPO

'Hypocrite, you are the biggest threat to our survival as NDC' - Anyidoho slams Pratt