General News of Wednesday, 20 May 2026

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Ghanaian arrested in Canada over alleged sexual assault

Samuel Opoku has been arrested Samuel Opoku has been arrested

Samuel Opoku, a 30-year-old Ghanaian man living in Canada, has been arrested over alleged sexual assault incidents reported in Toronto earlier this month.

According to reports by the New York Post, Opoku was arrested on May 12 and charged with two counts of sexual assault and indecent exposure following two separate incidents.

Investigators said the first incident occurred on May 9 when a group of women were walking along a sidewalk. Police alleged that the suspect approached the group, made sexual advances toward one of the women, grabbed her forearm, and sexually assaulted her before fleeing the scene.

Authorities said a second incident happened the following day when the suspect allegedly followed another woman into a commercial office building. He is accused of approaching the woman from behind, sexually assaulting her, and escaping afterward.

Police noted that neither of the victims knew the suspect, and no physical injuries were reported.

From Montie 3 to Ken Agyapong: 3 high-profile contempt cases involving attacks on judges

Court records cited by Canadian media reportedly confirmed that Opoku is the same individual linked to the widely publicised 2019 faeces attacks in Toronto that shocked residents and drew international attention.

The incidents reportedly involved five victims over four days, including women, a man and a child, who were allegedly targeted with buckets containing human waste.

One of the attacks reportedly occurred near the University of Toronto, where a woman was drenched with what investigators described as liquid human waste. Another incident allegedly took place inside the university’s John P. Robarts Library, where two students studying were targeted.

Reacting to the incidents at the time, police Constable David Hopkinson described the attacks as “absolutely disgusting.”

“A young girl had a bucket of waste, faeces, dumped on her,” he reportedly said.

Following his arrest in 2019, Opoku was charged with multiple counts of assault with a weapon and mischief interfering with property. His lawyer reportedly told the court that he was battling mental health challenges.

He was later granted bail after spending nearly three weeks in custody, although Canadian media reports indicated that the outcome of the earlier case remains unclear.

AM

Nigeria's Nnamdi Onwaez thrilled after reaching 110m hurdles final


Esther Obenewaa targets Commonwealth Games gold medal glory