General News of Tuesday, 19 May 2026

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

'We are still waiting for closure' - Family of slain immigration officer

A relative of the late immigration officer A relative of the late immigration officer

The family of slain Ghana Immigration Service officer Stephen King Amoah says they are still struggling to come to terms with his death, as they continue to wait for closure nearly a year after the incident.

Speaking with the media after a court hearing on May 18, 2026, a relative of the deceased said the prolonged investigation and repeated delays have left them emotionally drained.

“We are all worried. We are all expecting to take the accused to the High Court, so we start the trial from there. But unfortunately, we didn't get that, we are waiting for the next court date,” he stated.

According to them, they have repeatedly been told that authorities are awaiting DNA tests and other forensic results before proceeding with the next steps. However, they say each visit brings new explanations and further delays.

“We were told last week that everything would be ready today. But when we came last two weeks, they told us another test is needed. So we are still waiting,” the family member added.

They described the situation as deeply frustrating, especially as they had expected the process to have concluded much earlier.

“It’s almost a year now, and it’s worrying,” he added.

Background

Amoah was reported missing on July 3, 2025, after leaving home to meet Bright Aweh at Ashongman Estates.

His body was later discovered days in a drain at Abom Junction.

Investigations revealed that the meeting had been arranged after WhatsApp exchanges involving images of cash, allegedly to settle a debt.

Missing immigration officer found dead, body burnt at Abuom junction

Aweh claimed he had given Amoah GH¢500,000 to pay off a debt and retain the balance, but inconsistencies in his account raised suspicion.

He was initially charged with kidnapping and later arrested for murder after police discovered a bloodstained camouflage fabric and a fufu pestle wrapped in polythene at his residence.

The first accused person, Aweh, and the second accused person, Thomas Zigah, have been charged with conspiracy to murder and murder.

Meanwhile, the Kaneshie District Court has adjourned proceedings to June 1, 2026, pending DNA and forensic reports.

JKB/BAI

'I don't think he read the law' - Afenyo-Markin launches blistering attack on judge in Abronye case