Business News of Thursday, 19 February 2026

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Deputy Finance Minister commends GRA after major truck interception operation

Deputy Minister for Finance, Thomas Nyarko Ampem speaking with the media Deputy Minister for Finance, Thomas Nyarko Ampem speaking with the media

The Deputy Minister for Finance, Thomas Nyarko Ampem, has commended the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) for intercepting 12 articulated trucks in a major enforcement operation along the Dawhenya-Tema Road, describing the action as a decisive step in protecting state revenue.

The operation, carried out between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., was led by the Deputy Commissioner for Operations, with support from the Chief Revenue Officer, Preventive (Tema Collection), the Revenue Mobilisation Taskforce of National Security, and enforcement officers from both the Tema Collection and Customs Headquarters.

The 12 trucks are believed to be part of a consignment of 18 articulated trucks that had been electronically gated out of the Customs system as transit goods. They were declared as goods in transit from Akanu, destined for Niger through Kulungugu.

However, the trucks were intercepted while moving without the mandatory Customs human escort, in breach of Ghana’s transit procedures.

GRA intercepts 12 articulated trucks over suspected transit violations

The trucks were loaded with 44,055 packages of edible cooking oil, tomato paste, and spaghetti. Authorities estimate that the actual value of taxes at risk exceeds GH¢85 million.

Eleven of the intercepted trucks have been secured at the GPHA Transit Terminal under strict Customs supervision, with logistical support from the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority. One truck developed a mechanical fault during the operation, and its contents are currently being transferred to another vehicle to safeguard the goods.

Preliminary checks confirm that all 18 trucks were electronically gated out of the system, yet only 12 have been physically secured. Investigations are ongoing to identify and track the six outstanding trucks.

Commending the enforcement team, Thomas Nyarko Ampem said the swift action demonstrates the government’s resolve to clamp down on transit diversion and revenue leakages.

“Investigations are ongoing to identify the six outstanding trucks,” he stated.

He further disclosed that he has directed the Commissioner-General to conclude investigations within one week.

“I have asked the Commissioner-General to conclude investigations within one week. We are tracking the two Customs officers who were involved,” he said.

The Deputy Minister underscored the gravity of the matter, stressing that the potential revenue loss is significant.

“We take these matters seriously because the impact on our revenue is substantial,” he added.

On his part, the Commissioner-General of the GRA, Anthony Kwasi Sarpong, cautioned businesses and traders to comply fully with Customs laws and procedures.

He warned that the Authority would not hesitate to apply the full rigours of the law against offenders.

“We will apply the law of confiscation. The full force of the law will be applied,” he said, adding that the GRA would crack down on any individual or business found culpable of actions that deny the state much-needed revenue.