You are here: HomeNews2017 10 31Article 595940

General News of Tuesday, 31 October 2017


Togolese protesters granted GHC10,000 bail

The Circuit Court in Accra today granted the 26 Togolese nationals who attempted to demonstrate in Ghana bail of GHC10000 with a surety.

The surety according to the court should be gainfully employed.

The Togolese nationals were arrested last Saturday for congregating at the Nima Kawukudi Park without police permit to allegedly embark on an anti-Faure Gnassingbe demonstration.

Some motorbikes were impounded by police at the scene.

Out of the 26 people arrested, 20 were males with one minor who was 11years old while 6 were females.

The 26 Togolese nationals have been slapped with conspiracy to commit crime, breach of public peace and a third count of failing to notify the police before holding a public gathering.

All 26 pleaded not guilty to all charges levelled against them by the police.

Lawyer for the accused persons, Edudzi Tamakloe, prayed the court to grant his clients bail on conditions including the fact that they have been held beyond 48 hours in police custody and have been of good behaviour.

He also made the argument that contrary to the police claim that no notice was served them, his clients notified the Nima police on 23rd October 2017 and followed up on Thursday 26th October 2017 about the impending meeting of the Togolese nationals.

Rebutting his arguments, prosecution led by Chief Inspector Evans Kesse urged the court on the basis that these Togolese nationals do not have permits and recognised places of abode and are of flight risk to keep them in remand while the case is settled by the court.

Presiding Judge, Her Ladyship Priscilla Dapaah Mireku, granted the accused 26 Togolese nationals bail of GHC 10,000 and a surety and adjourned the case to November 13, 2017.

Togo unrest

Togo’s opposition parties have embarked on a series of demonstrations to press home their demand for President Faure Gnassingbe to step down after 12years of being in power.

The Togolese president assumed the reigns of governance in 2005 after the death of his father, General Gnassingbe Eyadema, who ruled Togo for nearly 50 years.

Over 15 people have been killed and dozens arrested during anti-Faure Gnassingbe protests.