You are here: HomeNews2010 03 22Article 179021

Crime & Punishment of Monday, 22 March 2010

Source: --

The Mobila Murder Trial: Prosecution To Drop Bombshell Today

By Mark Boye

The murder trial of Alhaji Issa Mohammed a.k.a. Issa Mobila, continues today at the Accra Fast Track High Court, with the Attorney-General’s promise to drop new revelations.

In seeking the adjournment to the case last Friday, the Prosecutor, Penelope Mamattah told the court that they had gathered very important revelations, which they would provide the court and therefore needed the case adjourned to today, to enable them do that.

The court presided over by Mr. Justice Senyo Dzamefe, granted the request and adjourned the case accordingly.
Mr. Thaddeus Sory counsel for the accused persons, Cpl. Yaw Appiah and Private Eric Modzaka, told The Enquirer that he was disappointed that the case had been adjourned due to ‘so- called new revelations.’
Mr. Sory said his disappointment was based on the fact that it was the same prosecutor who had insisted on the adjournment to last Friday.
However, Ms. Mamattah told this paper that the new revelations surrounding the murder of Alhaji Mobila, former Northern Regional chairman of the Convention Peoples Party (CPP), will definitely be made known to the court this morning.
Cpl. Yaw Appiah, the First Accused, Private Eric Modzaka , Second Accused and Private Seth Goka Third accused, who is at large, are standing trial on charges of murdering Alhaji Issa Mobila in December 2004 at the Kamina Barracks in Tamale.
Issa Mobila was accused of illegal possession and supply of fire arms shortly after the 2004 general elections. He reported to the police, who had earlier gone to search for him at home.
The Prosecution had told the court earlier that the late Mobila was handed over to the Military at Kamina Barracks, on the advise of the Northern Regional Security Council.
In stating the facts of the case in November last year, Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Gertrude Aikens had told the court that Alhaji Mobila died within hours after being handed over to the Kamina Barracks.
A post mortem examination of the deceased revealed he had been subjected to torture, the court was told.

Even though the accused persons were committed for trial at the High Court, Tamale in the Northern Region in 2005, it was not until November last year that they were charged before the Fast Track High Court in Accra.
The Michel Camp, where the three accused persons were transferred from the Kamina Barracks, could not produce Private Goka, when they were to face trial.
He has since not been arrested.