General News of Friday, 2 February 2018
Mr Kwasi Amoako-Atta, the Minister of Roads and Highways, on Thursday asked all squatters around the Tema Motorway Roundabout to evacuate and move their equipment, which were within road reservation, for the three-tier interchange to commence.
He ordered the Chief Executive Officers of the Tema, Kpone-Katamanso and Ashiaman assemblies to find an alternative place for them to operate.
The Minister ruled out any compensation package for the affected persons, adding that they were illegal occupants of the roundabout.
The first phase of the project falls under the Government of Japan Grant Aid, supposed to be completed within 28 months, at an estimated cost of 5,388 billion Japanese Yen (US$54 million).
Mr Amoako-Atta gave the directive when he led officials and engineers from the Ghana Highways Authority, Urban Roads Department and Feeder Roads to inspect work at the Tema Motorway Roundabout and Spintex Tunnel in the Greater Accra Region.
The phase one of the project would involve the construction of an underpass and a signalised grade intersection.
The project is being implemented by the Ghana Highways Authority through the Ministry of Roads and Highways with CTI Engineering International Co. Ltd. as the consultant.
The Roads Minister signed the contract for the project on December 15, 2017, with Shimizu-Dai Nippon JV being the contractor.
Mr Amoako-Atta said the completion of the project would ease traffic congestion during rush hours from Tema to Accra and enhance socio-economic activities.
The Minister advised the illegal occupants to obey the laws of the country and comply with the directive, saying; “Nobody is greater than the laws of the land and anyone who proves difficult would be removed forcibly”.
Mr Amoako-Atta also visited the 600-metre Spintex Tunnel, estimated at 14.8 million Ghana cedis, which would link Spintex and East Legon.
He commended the contractors; SONITRA, for the excellent work done so far and asked them to meet the deadline.
Mr Divine Kehodu, the Resident Engineer of the Ghana Highways Authority, said 80 per cent of the work had been completed and that total completion would be attained by the end of April this year.
He said it had created alternative routes for motorists while all utility lines had been re-located.