You are here: HomeNews2018 01 09Article 615598

Crime & Punishment of Tuesday, 9 January 2018


Pharmaceutical supplier caged for killing mechanic

A 37-year-old Nicholas Mensah Woode has been remanded by the Ashaiman District Magistrate Court for allegedly killing a 52-year-old mechanic in the Middle East, a suburb of Ashaiman.

The culprit who resides in the Middle East was said to have hit the left cheek of the deceased Michael Appiah, with a padlock after a misunderstanding ensued between the them

The deceased reportedly died at the Tema General Hospital where he was rushed for treatment.

The body of the deceased has since been deposited at the Police Hospital morgue in Accra, awaiting the autopsy.

The suspect Nicholas Mensah Woode, who is said to be a supplier of pharmaceutical products it would be recalled was also accused of raping a 22- year- old female student of the Central University in July 2014.

He has been slapped with a provisional charge of murder. Briefing the Press, the Ashaiman Divisional Police Commander Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Fleance S. Adika said the suspect, at about 7:30 am on Monday, December 25, 2017 confronted the deceased over the wrongful parking of a car which the deceased was about to work on.

“The shop of the deceased Michael Appiah is just opposite the apartment of Nicholas in the Middle East,” he mentioned.

ACP Adika continued that the confrontation resulted in a fight and in the process the culprit allegedly hit the deceased with a padlock on the left cheek.

He stated that both of them rushed to the Middle East Police Station to lodge complaints against each other and they were issued with police medical forms to attend to the hospital for treatment and examination whiles investigations continue.

“The two returned the medical forms duly endorsed by medical officers and cautioned statements were obtained from them and they were released on bail to be reporting as further investigations continue,” ACP Adika said.

The Commander stated that on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, at about 10 am, the deceased conditions became critical and was rushed to the Tema General Hospital for treatment but died on admission.

He said the culprit was consequently re-arrested following the death of the mechanic and was processed for the court where he was provisionally charged with murder.

He said the culprit is expected to reappear before the court on Wednesday, January 17, 2018