You are here: HomeNews2014 01 05Article 296951

Crime & Punishment of Sunday, 5 January 2014

Source: Daily Guide

NDC executive defrauds chief

An executive of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) at OLA, a suburb of Cape Coast, Nii Commey Adams, will soon reappear before a Circuit Court in Cape Coast presided over by Florence Kai Otoo for allegedly defrauding a Muslim Chief at Saltpond, Alhaji Ahmed Ben Mohammed.

Nii Adams, who allegedly collected the money from the complainant, promised to give him a Toyota Highlander vehicle.

He claimed former President John Evans Atta Mills gave the car to him for the campaign in the 2008 general elections.

A source close to the complainant told DAILY GUIDE that the said incident occurred on January 28, 2011.

According to the source, Alhaji Mohammed works with the Deputy organizer of NDC at Komenda-Edina-Eguafo-Abrem (KEEA) Constituency, Michael Amanor at Ankaful hospital.

The source stated that the deputy organizer told the victim that he and Adams had been given a car at the port to campaign massively for NDC, noting that they demanded Ghc12,000 to enable them go for the car since they were not interested in it.

The source added that the complainant was not convinced by the arguments but Amanor later led Adams to confirm the issue.

Sources hinted that Alhaji Mohammed gave the money to them and Adams promised to give the car to him within three months or refund his money.

The source further disclosed that the two, after a month, introduced a certain man by name George as personnel at the National Security to the complainant.

They also demanded an additional Ghc3,000, which he gave to them in the presence of the said National Security officer.

The source said after over three months, the complainant called George, who told him that he was hired by Adams to pose as a National Security Officer.

The victim informed some bigwigs of the party in the region including, the Member of Parliament (MP) for Mfantseman, Aquinas Tawiah Quansah and the former Council of State Member, Nana Kwebu Ewusi about the situation and they promised to ensure that they pay him the money but to no avail.

The source added that the complainant later reported the matter to Saltpond Police, who invited them to the station.

During interrogation, Adams asked the police to free Amanor since he was in possession of the money.

He was given two weeks to refund the money, but he continually lied to the police, a situation which compelled them to arraign him before the court.