You are here: HomeNews2019 02 09Article 721952

xxxxxxxxxxx of Saturday, 9 February 2019


Minority storms Police Headquarters

The Minority in Parliament has stormed the Police Headquarters to show solidarity with their colleague, Mr Samuel George, Member of Parliament (MP) for Ningo Prampram, who was invited by the Police.

According to the Minority, the march to the Police Headquarters was to seek justice for their colleague and other members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC).

Members of the Minority also announced that they intend to meet Mr David Asante Apeatu, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), to discuss with him their grievances.

Mr Samuel George and some NDC members were allegedly assaulted by men believed to be National Security operatives on January 31, 2019, during the by-election at the Ayawaso West Wuogon Constituency.

Besides, a shooting incident which occurred at the residence of Mr Delali Brempong, the NDC Parliamentary Candidate, where six persons were injured, eventually led to the NDC withdrawing from the race.

When the Minority MPs arrived at the Police Headquarters Mr George was asked to write a statement on the assault case in the absence of the IGP and his deputies.

The Minority MPs said though it had called for speedy identification and prosecution of the perpetrators of the violence they were yet to receive a favourable response from the security agencies.

Alhaji Mohammed Mubarak Muntaka, the Minority Chief Whip, who raised the issue on the floor of Parliament, said the Minority hoped Parliament would address the matter at Tuesday’s sitting but it appeared the Majority seemed unconcerned.

He said the Government was not acting on any of the video footages, which showed the assault on the MP and party members, making it look as if it was business as usual.

Alhaji Muntaka said it had been five days since the violence occurred at Ayawaso West Wuogon Constituency but no individual had been identified and arrested for prosecution.

“So we thought to let the IGP know that it has been five clear days and…. not a single person has been arrested, nothing has been done,” he said.