You are here: HomeNews2002 11 06Article 29131

Sports News of Wednesday, 6 November 2002


Minister Orders Investigations Into Stadium Tragedy

The Minister of Youth and Sports, Mr Osei Kwaku, has expressed disgust and disappointment at the turn of events at the Kumasi Sports Stadium last Sunday where a Kotoko soccer fan accidentally faced his untimely death, and another sustained serious gun shot wounds, when the police allegedly fired warning shots to disperse some agitating soccer fans.

The minister, accordingly, has announced that he has directed the Ghana Football Association (GFA) to carefully investigate the circumstances that led to the death of Kwame Kusi, alias Nana Kusi, the soccer fan, and Hayford Brenya who is on admission at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in Kumasi.

“I have ordered the GFA to submit their final reports to me for an appropriate action to be taken against the perpetrators”, he said.

Speaking on a Kumasi based local FM station, Kapital Radio yesterday, Mr Osei Kwaku regretted that the police have not learnt serious lessons from the disastrous May 9 tragedy in which over 100 Ghanaian soccer fans lost their lives.

He, however, explained that the police who were detailed at the stadium to ensure law and order, cannot be blamed for what has been described as unfortunate incidents that characterised the match, until thorough investigations are conducted to nail the perpetrators.

The sector minister expressed government’s condolences to the bereaved and injured families.

Mr Osei Kwaku denied any knowledge that Kotoko supporters had earlier been subjected to attacks and intimidations when they went to play with the Goldfields at the Obuasi stadium recently, explaining that his ministry did not receive any official report or complaint about such incidents.

Meanwhile, reports reachingDaily Guide indicate that Asante Kotoko fans domiciled in Obuasi have gone on rampage attacking Goldfields supporters.

This, according to Daily Guide findings, have generated tension between the two football arch-rivals in the area.

The fatal incident took place last Sunday, November 3, 2002, minutes after the porcupine warriors had successfully played their Goldfields counterparts in their Kumasi league encounter, at the Kumasi stadium.

The bizarre incident and its consequent fatalities that characterised last Sunday match has become the major issue for discussions throughout the metropolis.

The Ashanti Regional Police command has denied that the police officers who were detailed to the stadium were armed with live ammunitions