You are here: HomeNews2018 07 17Article 669676

General News of Tuesday, 17 July 2018

Source: 3news.com

Korle Bu’s new Accident and Emergency Centre opens on Friday

The new Accident and Emergency Centre of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital is scheduled to be commissioned on Friday, July 20.

The commissioning is expected to be done by the Minister of Health, Kwaku Agyemang Manu, and other high-ranking persons.

The new centre, according to a release on Tuesday, is a 65-bed, 30-trolley facility.

It is expected to ease congestion at the old Surgical Medical Emergency Unit “in the short and medium term period”.

Not long ago, precisely on Tuesday, July 10, management of the nation’s foremost hospital suspended emergency cases due to congestion at the Unit.

Patients had to be treated on the floor while little space was available for health workers administering care.

The whole incident is said to have been created by a directive from the Ghana Health Service (GHS) to hospitals not to turn away patients.

READ: Treat patients in wheelchairs, trolleys in emergency situations – GHS directs

Public Relations Officer of KBTH Mustapha Salifu told TV3 last week that the new Centre will absorb some of the pressure at the Unit.

“We are planning to open the bigger emergency ward. It will at least double the capacity that we have now.”