You are here: HomeNews1999 08 31Article 8431

General News of Tuesday, 31 August 1999

Source: GNA

IGP assures family of fair play

Winneba (C/R), Aug. 31, GNA - The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr Peter Nanfuri, has assured the family of the late Kobina Aku-Ghansah, a middle-aged fisherman, who was shot and killed by a Policeman at Winneba Town Hall a forthright ago, of fairness in the handling of the case.

He asked the family to allay fears that his administration might be compelled to cover the wrong doings of the suspect if investigations finally implicated him. He said, "we shall call a spade a spade when the axe turns against our man". Mr Nanfuri was addressing family members and sympathisers at Winneba on Tuesday.

The visit was to express the Police administration's condolences to the bereaved family and relatives of the late fisherman. He described the incident "as unfortunate and unbelievable", stressing his administration's determination to mete out the right punishment to the suspect if he is implicated without fear or favour.

On behalf of the Police administration, Mr Nanfuri presented a case of schnapps each to the family and the two widows of the deceased, in addition to three crates of soft drinks to the three groups, plus a cash donation of 1,250,000 cedis.

He also promised the bereaved family a coffin, means of transport to convey the body to the cemetery during the final funeral celebration of Aku-Ghansah at a later date to be fixed by the family. He commended members of the bereaved family and the entire people of Winneba, especially the fishermen for their co-operation and patience since the incident happened.

He appealed to them to continue to extend the same cordial relation to the Police in the area to ensure efficient and effective discharge of their duties. The District Chief Executive for Awutu-Effutu-Senya District, Lieutenant Daniel William Osardu, Mr Emmanuel Bedjinah, Police Divisional Commander for Swedru and Mr J. K. Danso, Winneba District Police Commander accompanied the IGP.

A spokesman for the bereaved family expressed their appreciation to the Police administration and the government in general for the concern they have shown so far and promised to co-operate with them to ensure a successful funeral of their late relative.

About a couple of weeks ago Police Sergeant-Major, David Ayangba of the Winneba Police shot and killed the deceased at Winneba Town Hall near Ghana Telecom premises, when the deceased allegedly failed to comply with the orders of the Sergeant-Major.