You are here: HomeNews2014 04 02Article 304978

General News of Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Source: Daily Guide Network

I want to go to church – Kombian

Johnson Kombian, the notorious armed robber serving five years at the Ankaful Maximum Security Prison for breaking jail, yesterday told an Accra Fast Track High Court that he wanted to go to church just like the other prisoners, but had not been allowed to do so.

The accused person, currently standing trial for allegedly murdering two police officers, told the court presided over by Justice Mustapha Habib Logoh, in fluent English that “I cannot speak to my visitors in private” and “I can’t even go to church like other prisoners,” adding that the way he is being treated “is very bad.”

Kombian made these complaints to the trial judge who said if he (Kombian) had been a remand prisoner it would have been easy for the court to decide where he should stay among others, but since he was serving an imprisonment term, it would not be very easy for him (judge) to make some decisions about the accused.

DSP Darko Ahenkura Samuel yesterday testified against the accused person and gave an emotional account of events leading to the death of Constables Prince Agyare and Owusu Frimpong.

Led by Mrs. Marina Appiah, State Attorney, DSP Darko Ahenkura Samuel said on October 10, 2010, he was at the Bunkprugu Police Station when he received a distress call from Constable Prince Agyare that Constables Owusu Frimpong and Osei Bonsu had been attacked by Kombian, a native of Napkanduri.

He said the three police officers were returning from the Nakpanduri Scarp on a motorbike so he informed his superiors and together they organised a vehicle and went to search for them.

According to the witness, they proceeded to the scarp area but did not find their colleagues because of the vegetation of the scarp and so they put on the hazard light and drove slowly till they heard Osei Bonsu screaming, “help us, we are dying oh” from underneath the scarp which was seven meters deep.

DSP Darko Ahenkura said when they arrived there they saw Prince Agyare lying in a pool of blood with his AK 47 lying by his side while Frimpong, who was also wounded, cried out “Look at what Kombian has done to me, will I die?”

He said when he offered to pick up Frimpong, his (Frimpong’s) arm had been broken, adding that Osei Bonsu was equally terribly wounded so they had someone from the area who had a vehicle to help them take the police officers to the hospital at the Nalerigu Baptist Medical Center.

The witness said Prince Agyare and Owusu Frimpong died while Osei Bonsu was transferred to the Police Hospital where he received treatment but has since been using clutches.

Under cross-examination by George Assamaney, counsel for Kombian, the witness said he could not remember the exact time the call came nor did he remember the number his distressed colleagues used in calling him.

Counsel put it to him that since he had forgotten the number used by his colleagues and the exact time, all that he had said was a figment of his imagination; but the witness denied.

The case has been adjourned to April 8, 2014.

Send your news stories to and features to . Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter