You are here: HomeNews2013 06 01Article 275692

General News of Saturday, 1 June 2013

Source: GNA

Horror: Metro Mass bus catches fire in middle of journey

A fully loaded Metro Mass Transit bus travelling from Tamale to Tatale in the Northern Region on Friday evening reportedly caught fire and burnt to ashes.

However, all passengers on-board numbering about 62, escaped unhurt, but most of their goods and belongings on-board the bus were completely burnt.

The incident happened just after the bus passed Zabzugu township, about five kilometres away from its destination, around 2000 hours GMT, and there was no fire tender to douse the flame.

Mr Bawa Abdul Samed, Traffic Supervisor at the Metro Mass Terminal (MMT) Tamale office, who confirmed the incident to the Ghana News Agency, said his outfit had dispatched a team to the scene of the incident to assess the situation.

He said the Police had also arrived at the scene of the incident to maintain law and order.

Mr Samed said the bus was in good condition before taking off.