You are here: HomeNews2008 02 13Article 139197

General News of Wednesday, 13 February 2008

Source: GNA

Grannie, teenager burnt to death

Sunyani, Feb 13, GNA - A 65-year-old woman, Madam Yaa Badu, burnt beyond recognition when she got trapped by a bushfire on her farm at Pinihe, near Nkoranza in Brong Ahafo. Mr Kwaku Manu Afful, Brong Ahafo Regional Fire Officer, told the returning home in the evening proceeded to the farm only to find her charred body and they immediately reported to the police. The regional fire officer said the body had since been buried. In another development Mr. Afful said one of two sisters burnt to death whilst studying in their room with a candle. He said the sisters, aged 15 and eight years, were studying with a candle light in a locked room but all of a sudden they saw fire spreading fast in the room. The eight-year-old hid inside a wardrobe whilst the senior sister tried to force the door open amidst shouts for help. Mr Afful said neighbours tried to rescue the girls but their efforts were hindered by the intensity of the blaze. He said firemen were called to the scene later but they had problem getting access to the area with their tender because routes to the house were blocked with wooden structures and containers. The regional fire officer appealed to the public to desist from constructing unauthorized structures leading to homes, stating that that the girl would have been saved if there were access for the fire tenders.

Join our Newsletter