You are here: HomeNews2017 01 19Article 502400

General News of Thursday, 19 January 2017

Source: Starrfmonline.com

GH23m Hajj debt claim “misleading” – Amin Lamptey

The outgoing Hajj Board has dismissed reports that it incurred a 23 million Cedi debt in the organization of last year’s pilgrimage to Mecca.

According to documents sighted by Starrfmonline.com, 452 would-be pilgrims who paid for the Holy journey last year, but were not airlifted to Saudi Arabia must also be reimbursed.

Confirming the development to Starrfmonline.com, an impeccable source within the transition team said “the payment cannot be accounted for”, adding part of the debt is owed a Saudi airline, Fly Nas, which has been airlifting pilgrims from Ghana to Saudi Arabia over the years.

Some Hajj agents, Starrfmonline.com can reveal, are also being owed their commissions among others.

But Deputy Communications Director for the Board Mohammed Amin Lamptey in an interview with Naa Dedei Tettey on Starr Today said the report is misleading.

“The story is really misleading because by the Saudi government you cannot have access to visa issuance if you don’t deal appropriately with the airline.

“It is not done that you don’t pay for airline, accommodation and visa is issued, it is never done…so from the word go that story is misleading.”