You are here: HomeNews2018 02 22Article 628498

Regional News of Thursday, 22 February 2018

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Fire razes down 3-unit classroom block in Wa

Headmistress of the school, Sariata Issah laments the situation has caused congestion in the school

A 3 unit classroom block at the Nusrat Jahan Ahmaddiyya Demonstration school in Wa has partially been burnt down by fire in the upper west region.

Management of the school has however combined pupils from the affected classrooms as a temporary measure which at the moment is affecting teaching and learning in the school.

The newly constructed classroom block which is yet to be paid for by government was believed to have engulfed in fire at around 5 pm on Monday when schools were closed.

The facility was constructed by the Wa municipal assembly to ease congestion in the school.

Two rooms have been massively affected by the fire with properties destroyed running into thousands of cedis.

The school which originally operates ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’ classes for form ones and twos and ‘A’and ‘B’ classes for form threes has now been compelled to combine the classes to now have only ‘A’ and ‘B’ for the form ones and twos while the form threes come together in a single class.

More than 70 children now sit in one classroom due to the effect of the fire.

Headmistress of the school, Madam Sariata Issah in an interview with tv3 said the situation is affecting teaching and learning in the school the pupils prepare to write their final and terminal examinations.

Meanwhile, the National Disaster Management Organization NADMO, has presented some building materials including roofing sheets, cement and nails all valued at 8 thousand Ghana cedis to the Wa municipal assembly on behalf of the school to ensure an early completing of the affected part of the building for the students.

The upper west regional director of NADMO Mr Isaac Seidu has presented the items on behalf of the team.

The Wa municipal chief Executive Alhaji Moomen Ishahaku Tahiru commended NADMO for the donation but said he has had discussing with the contractor about four days ago before the disaster happened.
He assured the school that the Municipal assembly will again take up the school to ensure children learn under good condition.

In a related development, the Upper West Regional branch of the National Disaster Management Organization NADMO also presented relief items to a family at Kumbiehi a suburb of Wa after fire has destroyed 2 rooms out of a 15 bedroom compound house.

The fires were believed to have happened at around 10 am Monday but for the timely intervention of the National Fire Service 13 out of the 15 rooms been salvaged from the fire.

Items presented include clothing, cement, roofing sheets, rubber basins and buckets valued at 8 thousand Ghana cedis.

Victim of the disaster, Mohamed Amin thanks NADMO for the support.