You are here: HomeNews2018 08 17Article 677401

Sports News of Friday, 17 August 2018

Source: Footballmadeinghana.com

FIFA’s decision to form Normalization Committee is flawed – Wilfred Osei

Ghana FA Executive Committee member Wilfred Osei says FIFA’s decision to put in place a Normalization Committee is an error.

The world football governing body following a meeting with a delegation from the Ghana government on Thursday in Zurich has resolved to establish the Normalization Committee to replace the Executive Committee.

Ghana football has been in crisis for the past two months following the publication of an undercover documentary by Anas Aremeyaw Anas that exposed widespread corruption in the administration of football in the country.

In the documentary titled Number 12; When Greed Becomes the Norm, senior officials of the Ghana FA including former President Kwesi Nyantakyi and a host of referees were caught receiving alleged bribes.

This huge public uproar that greeted the expose saw government commence legal action seeking to liquidate the GFA.

But FIFA earlier this week stepped in to issue an ultimatum for the state to withdraw its lawsuit by August 27 or get banned.

Government in response requested a meeting with FIFA which was held on Thursday and amongst other things a decision was taken to replace the Executive Committee with a Normalization Committee.

But Wilfred Osei who is set to lose his position as an Executive Committee member says this is a mistake.

“There are loopholes in the decision of FIFA,” he told Asempa FM.

“In all the discourse, only one side has been heard. A decision has been arrived at by listening to only one side.

“The Executive Committee has not been given the opportunity to state their side of the story and yet still this decision has been taken.”

FIFA in its release detailing the decisions taken on the Ghana FA says it will collaborate with the Ghana government and CAF in their bid to return the administration of football to normalcy.

This is a condition precedent for the Ghana government to withdraw its lawsuit seeking to dissolve the Ghana FA.